The ten shibboleths are:
- It’s online panhandling
- I might fail
- I can’t raise money without a fancy video
- I’m afraid I won’t reach my goal
- I have to have a big social media following to be successful
- I have no perks to offer
- I don’t have time
- Crowdfunding is only about the money
- I should wait until I have the perfect idea/product/etc.
Indiegogo prides itself in being an open platform with few barriers to entry for a potential crowdfunding campaign. The platform was started to reduce gatekeepers – not create a new one. There are some truisms to help guarantee crowdfunding success though and a well thought out, structured campaign is the best approach for any crowdfunded project.
Regardless – if you are considering crowdfunding your dream this document is worth a quick read.