- This event has passed.
NCFA / VEC: Igniting Venture Capital in BC: Expert Panel on new Equity Crowdfunding Opportunities
May 21, 2014 @ 8:30 am - 11:00 am EST
The crowdfunding industry is exploding with entrepreneurs, investors, portal operators, third party service providers and experts from around the world who are all jockeying for position to take advantage of a promising and brand new fundraising channel for small to medium sized enterprises (SMEs). (read more). On March 20, 2014, the BC Securities Commission (BCSC) published for a 90-day public comment period a new prospectus exemption – The Startup Exemption – modeled on regulations introduced in Saskatchewan Dec. 2013. ThisCrowdfunding specific exemption would allow early stage companies such as start-ups and small-to-mid-size enterprises (SMEs) to raise up to $300,000 of capital annually through the issuance of securities online while maintaining an appropriate level of investor protection. How does crowdfunding apply to other exemptions like OM or the proposed one for Existing Securities Holders? We have assembled a premier panel of industry, legal, investment and regulatory experts to bring forth and highlight key views and insights.
- Regulatory briefing: What are the proposed regulations, timeline and next steps?
- What are the challenges of our current capital raising markets and what solutions are coming?
- Are we doing enough collectively as a 360 eco-system to remain competitive in today’s global markets?
- How will crowdfunding spur business and economic growth, employment and innovation?
- Do these regulations provide significant protections for investors?
- What are the legal issues and proposed solutions that revolve around Crowdfunding transactions?
- Market pulse: what is happening on the ground in the Crowdfunding industry? (Issuers, investors, portals, and providers)
- Q&A feedback on BC’s Crowdfunding exemption proposal
8:00 am Registration Opens
8:30 am Session Kick-off
8:35 am Presentations
10:35 am Q&A Discussion (Open forum)
10:55 am Networking