Navdy, a Heads Up Display (HUD), for your car has launched their pretail crowdfunding campaign today. The organizers hope to raise $60,000 over the next 30 days. Backers can reserve a Navdy for $299. Navdy allows drivers to access their smartphone’s apps while keeping their eyes on the road. A combination of a high quality projection display with voice and gesture controls Navdy seeks to create a safer and better driving experience.
Navdy was founded by entrepreneur Doug Simpson and inventor Karl Guttag. In 2013 it went through the Highway 1 Incubator program and continues to work closely with Highway 1’s parent, PCH to help with production and delivery of the Navdy product.
“Smartphones were never designed to be used while driving,” said Navdy co-founder and CEO Doug Simpson. “Touchscreen-based apps force you to take your eyes off the road. So we started by completely rethinking what the experience of using apps behind the wheel should be like. Navdy is built from the ground up to be the safest and most intuitive way to make calls, use navigation, listen to music or access notifications without ever looking away from the road.
Navdy Features are:
- Advanced display technology: Projects a transparent image directly within your field of view that appears to float six feet in front of your windshield so you can maintain your focus on the road while viewing navigation instructions, incoming calls, speed, etc. It’s the same technology used by airline pilots to keep their eyes on the runway while landing an airplane.
- Works in any car: The device can be mounted on any car dashboard, and is powered by plugging in to the onboard computer (OBD II port), available in all cars produced since 1996.
- Intuitive touch-less gesture and voice controls: You never need to look away from the road while using Navdy. Glance-able apps are controlled with intuitive touch-less hand gestures, while voice recognition lets you ask for directions. Navdy’s noise cancellation technology and wide angle gesture sensors are specifically designed to create an optimal driving experience.
- All the apps you need: Navdy works with navigation apps such as Google Maps for turn by turn directions, and music apps such as Spotify, Pandora, iTunes Music and Google Play Music. Navdy can read aloud or display notifications from text messages or social media apps, subject to Parental Control settings. Navdy is compatible with iPhone (iOS 7+) and Android (4.3+) smartphones.
- Integrated with your car: Navdy links to your car and is able to display information such as your speed, RPM, miles-to-empty, fuel economy stats, tire-pressure warning or battery-voltage warning from the car’s computer, all presented on your windshield within your field of view.
- Tuned for the driver: Critical information like turn by turn directions and your speed do not disappear when a phone call comes in the way your navigation app disappears to the background on a smartphone when a call comes in. The information you need, when you need it is always present and clearly within your field of view.
Have a crowdfunding offering you'd like to share? Submit an offering for consideration using our Submit a Tip form and we may share it on our site!