Earlier this week, California-based company Equil launched a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo for its second generation self-titled smartpen. Seeking to only raise $50,000, the project has already raised over $150,000.
According to its description, the Equil Smartpen 2 allows the user to seamlessly create, capture, edit and share their ideas from paper to digital to the cloud. This includes:
- Paper: Work with existing paper and notebooks
- Devices: Avilable for OSX, Windows, iOS, and Android
- In Sync: Syncs with iCloud, Dropbox, Evernote, and more.
Directions for the pen is simple: Take notes or make sketches with real ink on any paper surface and quickly push them to the cloud. While it does not require special paper, it does use ultrasound and infrared to accurately pinpoint the pen’s position on any type of paper, then send the information straight to devices.
The pen also comes with an app known as Equil Note. This is considered the “ultimate” note app for everyone from business professional, educators, students, to parents, homemakers, designers and projects. It allows the user to write notes and diagram ideas with standard ballpoint ink and captures them to devices.
Key features include:
- Bluetooth Connection: Pairing the Bluetooth is easy. The user will be up and running in mere seconds
- Works on Plain Paper: Use any type of paper. Experience creations displayed on any device
- Custom Gestures: Choose from any array of customizable gestures to make the pen even better
- Pen Pressure: The pen features 600 levels of pressure sensitivity
- Portable and easy to use: A compact design, light weight, components, and USB charging enhance its usability
- Cloud Functionality: Store, share, and publish work and creations with others using iCloud or DropBox.
Along with the writing app, the Equil also has a sketch app. The Equil Sketch creates editable, layered compositions that may easily be exported to PSD or PDF form. By using the Equil Sketch, artists can do the following:
- Connect your Equil Smartpen 2 for a realistic digital version of what you draw on paper, with 600 levels of pressure sensitivity
- Choose from a collection of brushes and colors
- Import photos and add images as backgrounds
- Add shapes and lines
- Work in layers to overlay ideas
- Reorder, duplicate, resize and adjust opacity for each layer
The Equil team also compared first and second generation of the smartpen:
The campaign is scheduled to close on October 8th.
Have a crowdfunding offering you'd like to share? Submit an offering for consideration using our Submit a Tip form and we may share it on our site!