Ready to introduce a new way to enjoy the online sharing experience, Manchester-based company Wedg has launched a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo for its self-titled personal cloud. Seeking only £71,000, the project has already received £66,000 during its first five days on the platform.
Wedg is a self-hosted email and file storage solution that is built on strong security and privacy values. It is “off-cloud,” which means the user’s data doesn’t sit in a vulnerable data center. It is at home or in the office where they knew its safe from threats.
The device does the following:
- Security and Encryption: Every user enjoys 512-disk encryption activated the moment they first log-in. Built-in key management helps exchange public keys with trusted users for effortless privacy and data security.
- Storage, Sync, and Share: NAS like storage with Dropbox like Sync and Sharing but security like no other. Sends files as links with embedded passwords and built-in expiration dates.
- Apps Capable: Open platforms for developers to build fun and creative apps to further expand WEDG capabilities at home and work.
- Business Analytics Tools: Install or migrate bespoke business tools like CRMs to WEDG and avoid monthly subscription fees.
- Email: Intelligent email, address book and calendar for everyone. Works with Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, and Mozilla Thunderbird and an easy-to-use Webmail.
- Media Streaming: Stream your favorite movies, music and pictures anywhere around the world or to your SmartTV with built-in media streaming capabilities.
- Host Websites: Full FTP and built-in MySQL database support for HTML and CMS base websites like WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla.
- Bitcoint Wallet Capabilities: Bitcoin and other crypto-currency wallet support.
During a recent interview with TechCrunch, co-founder and CEO Shehbaz Afzal stated, “Wedg isn’t just for file storage, its’ an email server, media server for streaming movies, music and photos to smart devices, it will also host your websites and is open for developers to create apps and expand the Wedg capabilities.”
“We envisage apps for photo galleries, centralised password stores, Bitcoin wallets. If we’re able to meet our [Indiegogo] stretch goal of £135,000 we will start development of a web based office suite much like Google Docs and Office 365 for centralised real-time collaboration from the Wedg.”
“Right now it seems our privacy is at a constant threat from numerous bodies, and most of the time we don’t even know it’s going on, yet we have little choice for a real alternative. Wedg aims to be that real all-in-one alternative… [It] really puts the user/owner in control, there is a simple hard drive upgrade procedure; multiple secure backup options and we also provide a dynamic DNS routing service to help novice users get started quickly.”
The campaign is set to close on November 21st.
Have a crowdfunding offering you'd like to share? Submit an offering for consideration using our Submit a Tip form and we may share it on our site!