The family robot is supposed to help bring technology to life with personal and emotive engagement. Unlike the home gadgets and other tech, Jibo is looking to fit in more like one of the family. The robot raised a total of $3,711,958 through the global crowdfunding platform.
“As soon as you bring Jibo home, he will start to learn about you. He will recognize the different voices and faces in your family and as he interacts with you. Jibo’s personality and intelligence will come to life through various skills that provide companionship and help you to coordinate and manage daily activities, as well as stay close to those you love even when you’re apart.”
Features of Jibo are the following:
- Sight: Two hi-res cameras recognize and track faces, capture photos, and enable immersive video calling.
- Hearing: 360 microphones and natural language processing let you talk to Jibo from anywhere in the room.
- Learn: Artificial intelligence algorithms learn your preference to adapt and fit into your life.
- Help: Like a personal assistant, Jibo proactively helps you, to make everyday tasks simpler and easier.
- Speaks: Hand-free reminders and messages, so you’ll never forget and can always be in touch.
- Relate: Communicates and expresses using natural social and emotive cues so you understand each other better.
During a recent update on Facebook, the Jibo team stated:
“We are making great progress on Jibo, but we won’t start delivering him in the March/April timeframe as previously communicated. We know this is disappointing. We want to ensure your experience with your Jibo is amazing, and we need more time than we anticipated to achieve this goal.”
They went on to note:
“As an early purchaser you a) are earliest in the delivery queue and b) purchased Jibo at a far lower price than he’ll cost when we launch. Should you prefer to not wait any longer and would rather have a refund, we will be happy to offer one. We believe Jibo will be worth the wait.”
Details about Jibo’s progress and new delivery date should be announced on April 29th.
Have a crowdfunding offering you'd like to share? Submit an offering for consideration using our Submit a Tip form and we may share it on our site!