Popular watch brand, Fossil, announced earlier this week the launch of its fourth generation of smartwatches under its Fossil Q line. The new line offers some unique features, including untethered GPS, heart-rate tracking, and NFC feature, which is compatible with payment service, Google Pay. While sharing more details about the watches, Steve Evans, EVP of Fossil, stated:
‘’Since our entry to the smartwatch market, it has always been our first priority to be nimble and adapt quickly to innovations-both in technology and design. We know a lot of watch wearers have both a traditional watch and some kind of an activity tracker— by adding significant features in terms of technology, without compromising our design standards, this new generation of smartwatch will provide consumers with one device that fits all of their needs. Ensuring the best possible experience for our customers has always been important, which drove the innovation of this product; we cannot wait to see the consumer response around the globe.’’
According to Fossil, NFC allows users to have payment and transit capabilities directly on their device. Exclusively compatible with Google Pay (transit and pay currently available in select countries). The feature also prevents users from having to pull out their card every time they need to complete a transaction. With a few taps, the user’s card is ready on the watch to streamline any checkout experience. To add more security, users set up a unique lock code on their watch to help protect from any identity or data theft.
Other features of the new smartwatches include:
- Stainless steel case (Q Venture HR: 40mm / Q Explorist HR: 45mm)
- Stunning touchscreen digital display
- 24+ hours battery life (based on usage)
- Interchangeable straps and bracelets (Q Venture HR: 18mm / Q Explorist HR: 22mm)
- Connect via Bluetooth® technology
- Wireless syncing + magnetic charging
- Compatible with iOS 9.3+ and Android 4.4+ (excluding Go edition)
- Sensors: Altimeter, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Ambient Light, Microphone
- Powered with Wear OS by Google
- Qualcomm® Snapdragon Wear™ 2100 Platform
The new watches are retailing to be $255-$275.