The Enterprise Investment Scheme Association (EISA) has scheduled a series of events around the UK to share information on two very important programs: the Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) and Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS).
These two programs help to incentivize investors to back early stage firms. These firms are, of course, very risky investments as many young companies fail. But it is these same small firms that generate the bulk of new jobs and wealth for founders and their supporters. The two tax exemptions are widely used by issuers on investment crowdfunding platforms as the plans effectively mitigate a portion of the investor risk. In reality, it is a subsidy to boost innovation.
The EISA points out that since EIS was created by the government in 1994 approximately 26,000 UK businesses have received EIS funding worth almost £16 billion.
According to the association, in 2016-17 time frame 3,470 companies raised a total of £1.797 million of funds under the EIS scheme. In 2015-16, 3,545 companies raised £1.954 million of funds.
In 2016-17, SEIS saw 2,260 companies receive investment and £175 million of funds were raised, down from 2,405 and £182 million in 2015-16
The forthcoming EISA events will cover a wide range of alternative funding options. According to the EISA, experts will be able to answer questions on, and provide information about, many forms of growth financing that are available to start ups and scale up firms.
More information is available here.
- Liverpool – 18th Sept – breakfast event– Offices of RSM – 14th Floor, 20 Chapel Street, Liverpool, L3 9AG
- Belfast – 25th Sept – evening event – Ormeau Baths, 18 Ormeau Avenue, Belfast BT2 8HS
- Edinburgh – 4th Oct – evening event – offices of Gillespie McAndrew – 5 Atholl Crescent, Edinburgh EH3 8EJ
- Birmingham – 9th Oct – breakfast event – Innovation Birmingham – Faraday Wharf, Innovation Birmingham Campus, Holt Street, Birmingham Science Park Aston, Birmingham, B7 4BB.
- Bristol – 16th Oct – breakfast event – Veale Wasbrough Vizards LLP, Narrow Quay House, Narrow Quay, Bristol BS1 4QA
- Leeds – 7th Nov – breakfast event – Leeds Marriott Hotel 4 Trevelyan Square, Boar Lane, Leeds LS1 6ET
- London – 8th Nov – evening event – Offices of BDO, 55 Baker Street, London W1U 7EU
- Manchester – 15th Nov – breakfast event – Offices of Eagle Labs, Union House, Albert Square, Manchester M2 6LW