Sezzle, Inc. (ASX: SZL), a U.S.-based installment payments platform, announced on Monday it has received the certification required to achieve B Corp status.
Founded in 2016, Sezzle claims to be a public-benefit corporation on a mission to financially empower the next generation. The company explained that it strives to enable all people to take control over their financial futures, be more responsible and gain access to financial freedom by building the most transparent, inclusive, and seamless payments option for online purchasers.
“Sezzle’s mission is to ‘financially empower the next generation’, and to go beyond finance by supporting empowerment across many facets of users’ lives, creating a better world for the next generation through ethical initiatives. New generations are set to inherit the environmental and social crises unfolding today.”
While sharing more details about the B Corp status, Sezzle CEO, Charlie Youakim, stated:
“Becoming a certified B Corp empowers our entire team, but it is only the beginning. This designation ensures that we hold Sezzle to the highest of standards. Sezzle’s key differentiator among competition is our purpose-driven approach to business. With this designation, we will strengthen this advancement through the collective power of the B Corp community.”
Sezzle further added it proposed a full slate of 2021 B Corp initiatives on both a local and global scale, seen in the following five commitments:
- Planting a tree for every new, active user in partnership with Trees for the Future
- The commitment to be carbon neutral with certification from Climate Neutral, reducing the company’s carbon footprint. That also works with brands like REI, Ministry of Supply, and Allbirds
- Giving a full annual scholarship to the University of Minnesota to a disadvantaged student and launching a new national scholarship
- Providing free financial literacy and needed tools via Sezzle U
- Creating a non-profit fund to support causes as they arise that are in line with the company’s social mission
Sezzle went on to add that these initiatives coincide with its value-based marketing strategy and dedication to its partners with purpose program-collaborating with brands, partners, and retailers that are aligned in pursuing social good.