Announced this past September, the Big App Fund, sponsored by Worth Capital with the assistance of Facebook, has ventured to discover the next big thing in Apps by organizing a pan-European competition. The contest was joined by an investment crowdfunding round on Seedrs where interested investors could be part of a fund that will invest in 10 t0 30% ownership in the 3 finalists. The winner of the event will receive £150,000 with the other two capturing an investment in the amount of £100,000 each. Organizers have reserved the right overfund and select more than three if they see a compelling opportunity.
After a long day of pitches at Facebook HQ, the competition is now down to the final ten:
- READBUG (UK) is an amalgamation of magazines, delivering optimised and unlimited magazine content, in a similar format to Netflix, via a monthly subscription app.
- UKADEMICS (PORTUGAL) is like the Booking.com of college degrees – the fastest way to search & apply to thousands of universities around the world.
- SPORTSFIX (UK) allows users to follow their favourite sports, teams and stars, summarising the most popular online articles and social media into a personalised stream.
- OCTAVIA (UK) is a digital music tutor for your tablet that gives you immediate feedback on your playing and gives you access to a huge marketplace of lessons and pieces.
- YOOVI (UK) is a unique platform for immersive interactive entertainment – movies where the audience interact with real world objects and characters and become the star of the movie!
- BRIEFLY (UK) aims to disrupt the lucrative freelancing market by connecting employers with local student networks in real-time.
- SKILLSEARCH (UK) A design-led peer-to-peer digital platform that empowers independent educators and course seekers, allowing them to connect, interact, inspire, rate and review each other as teachers and learners.
- DARE TO (UK) A revolutionary new challenged-based social media app allowing end-users to share thrilling & fun challenges whilst earning rewards from brands.
- BOOSTER (ISRAEL) Allows you to set personal goals or targets and share success along your journey with friends in order to gain motivation, building expectation and delivering results.
- THAT DOOR (UK) That Door adopts the same approach as ‘Tinder’ in the rapidly growing rental property market.
The Big App Fund competition received 425 entries from 25 different countries. The grand event is scheduled to take place on November 17th.
As for the offer on Seedrs it stands slightly over its £350K goal. The 331 Investors will know more later this month.
Have a crowdfunding offering you'd like to share? Submit an offering for consideration using our Submit a Tip form and we may share it on our site!