On Friday, crowdfunding giant Kickstarter announced details about its presence at the 2016 SXSW Film Festival, which is being held in Austin, Texas.
“South by Southwest takes over Austin, Texas March 11–20, and we’ll be there with bells on. Here’s a quick guide to what the Kickstarter community — and a few of our teams — will be up to as we join the descent upon Bat City to celebrate music, film, and feats of creative innovation. Hope to see you there!”
It was reported that Kickstarter-funded film projects account for 30% of the SXSW film competition lineup. For the full slate, click here.
Check out the list below for Kickstarter’s teams:
Kickstarter’s Film Team:
- March 12, 12:30PM: Film Outreach Lead Dan Schoenbrun on panel How Crowdfunding Can Screw Your Distribution Plan.
- March 12, 12:30PM: Film Media Relations Specialist David Ninh at Mentor Sessions (Publicity and Marketing).
- March 15, 12:30PM: Documentary Film Lead Liz Cook on panel New Financiers: Meet the Film Finance Innovators.
Kickstarter’s Music Team:
- March 16, 3:30PM: You Can’t Pay Bills with Facebook Likes, talk by Hayley Rosenblum, Music Outreach Lead
- March 17, 12:30PM: Creative Convergence: Artists as Labels, talk by Molly Neumann, Head of Music
- March 17, 5PM: Can’t Tell Me Nothing: Independent Hip Hop, panel presented by Hayley Rosenblum, featuring Amaechi Uzoigwe (Run The Jewels/Monotone Inc), Brandon Hixon (We Make Music), Naomi Zeichner (The Fader)
Kickstarter’s Design and Technology Team:
- March 14, 9:30AM: Start bright and early with a primer on Hardware on Kickstarter, moderated by John Dimatos, Senior Director — Design and Technology Communities, with panelists from Primo Toys, Nextbit, and re:3D.
- March 15, 11AM: New Maker Models: Innovations in Urban Production, panel with John Dimatos.
Kickstarter’s Game Team:
- March 12, 3:45PM: Catch a screening of The Dwarvenaut at the Alamo Ritz 1 — the documentary will give you a glimpse into the visionary mind of repeat Kickstarter creator Stefan Pokorny of Dwarven Forge.
- March 19, 7:30 PM: The 2016 SXSW Gaming Awards take place at the Hilton Austin Downtown, and Kickstarter-funded RPG Undertale is up for Game of the Year. You can view the complete list of nominees here. (Want to learn more about the making of Undertale? We recently had the pleasure of interviewing creator Toby Fox.)