On Friday, popular webcomic Cyanide & Happiness closed its campaign on Kickstarter for Joking Hazard. During its crowdfunding run, the new card game successfully secured a total of $3,246,588 from 63,758 backers.
For those who haven’t heard, Joking Hazard is described as an offensive card game. Each player competes to finish an awful comic strip out of two panels. One player is considered a judge and everyone else will put their favorite panel for the final part of the comic. Judge will choose their favorite and that will be the winner.
Rules are simple:
- Everyone draws seven cards: Players should always have seven cards.
- The deck plays first: Judge picks the panel blindly from the top of the draw pile.
- The judge plays second: The judge picks the second panel from his own hand and will put it on either side.
- Everyone else plays third: The other players give the third panel to the judge face down
- The judge picks a winner: The just lays them down on at a time and will pick the favorite
The winning panel will go back to its owner for scorekeeping. The next person will become the judge and the game will continue until a player has three cards. Seems like a pretty easy game that could turn hilarious very quickly.
During a recent update, Cyanide & Happiness’ Rob DenBleyker shared his thoughts on the campaign’s success:
“I’m seriously blown away with how far this game has come. Around this time last year we were printing out Random Comic Generator panels and thinking ‘Whoa, this should really be a party game’ and NOW IT ACTUALLY WILL BE! We started with a prototype and a pocket full of dreams, and you guys turned it into the second-biggest card game in Kickstarter history (after that one about the cats that blow up).”
Estimated delivery for Joking Hazard is November 2016.
Have a crowdfunding offering you'd like to share? Submit an offering for consideration using our Submit a Tip form and we may share it on our site!