Sir Richard Branson’s annual Extreme Tech Challenge (XTC) has announced the 2018 winners of its fourth annual competition. This year’s winner is Power Ledger, a software company from Australia that is using blockchain technology to enhance the adoption and accessibility of clean energy worldwide.
The top three finalists for the XTC Finals visited Branson’s Necker Island in the British Virgin Islands for on October 19th. These were the first guests to the island since the devastating hurricanes. On the island a panel of judges selected a winner. Judges included Branson along with Bitfury co-founder Valery Vavilov, United Arab Emirates’ Prince Zayed Suroor, Ignite Founder & Singularity University Co-Ambassador, Lisa Andrews, and Head of Marketing at Zoom Communications, Janine Pelosi.
Dr Jemma Green, co-founder of Power Ledger, said they were honored to receive the award and excited for the additional opportunities available to us from this endorsement.
The other two finalists that had a chance to visit Necker Island, included:
- Owlet Baby Care: Founded in 2013 by a team of passionate parents who believed there had to be better resources for infant healthcare in the home. The team’s goal is to bring themselves and other parents around the globe peace of mind and assurance by developing a device that tracks the baby’s oxygen and heart rate while asleep. Using clinically proven technology called pulse oximetry, the Owlet Smart Sock is designed to notify parents if something appears to be wrong.
- Revl: Revl provides AI video editing as a service for experience providers like zip-lines, racetracks, skydive drop zones and soon cruise ships and theme parks. The system uses Revl Arc cameras to capture the experience and Artificial Intelligence to edit a full social media package including 2 cinematic videos in less than 90 seconds.
The next XTC Finals will be held on April 3, 2019. The top 25 candidates have already been revealed. They are listed below:
- ActiveProtective: A belt that promotes safer mobility of older adults using wearable airbags. The company is based out of Philadelphia and focuses on the wearable industry.
- bitlumens: Based out of Switzerland, their mission is to offer a peer to peer platform where users adopt off-grid Solar systems to reduce carbon emissions and get access to lighting and water in places where there is no power grid.
- Civic Eagle, Inc: This Atalanta based company helps organizations automate their discovery, tracking, and analysis of important legislation with artificial intelligence.
- Earth Ledger: Based out of Estonia, Earth Ledger looks to resolve climate change using blockchain technology.
- echoAR: A cloud platform for augmented reality (AR) apps based out of New York City.
- Einride: Based out of Sweden, Einride provides a system for autonomous and zero emission road transportation.
- Elevian: A company that develops regenerative medicines to treat and prevent age-related diseases. They focus on the Biotech industry and are based out of Boston.
- Empower AS: Based out of Norway and focused on the environment, Empower AS is a digital plastic waste deposit system.
- EnlightAID: A company fighting corruption in aid through transparency technology. They are based out of Norway and focus on the FinTech industry.
- eWATERpay: Based out of the United Kingdom, eWATERpay uses IOT & Mobile Money to deliver sustainable water supply to 1 billion. Their main industries are energy and cleantech.
- Liven: A digital currency company based out of Australia that focuses on lifestyle rewards and a mobile payment wallet.
- Lynq: The only location tracker that works over miles – without phones, networks or infrastructure, founded in New York.
- MicroEra Power – CHPplus: Based in New York, the company was founded on the belief that Engine + Fuel cell + Storage = onsite cooling, heat, power, and a fast payback!
- Mymee Inc: A healthcare focused company from New York City that has created a digital therapeutic program to reverse the symptoms of autoimmune disease.
- Nori Carbon Removal Marketplace: Nori is a Seattle based company that is creating a new way for anyone in the world to pay to remove excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. Its purpose: to reverse climate change.
- NurtureCo: A healthcare focused company out of New York City that makes elder home care management easier.
- Nyx Technologies: A Neurotechnology company out of Israel that is currently developing a wearable headband that monitors and changes brain activity in real time.
- re:3D: A company out of Houston making human-scale 3D printing accessible.
- Synapbox: Based out of Mexico City, Synapbox is a content testing platform that helps you measure consumers’ emotional and visual real-time responses that turn into sales.
- Team uSens: Launched in 2013, uSens is headquartered in the heart of Silicon Valley and build interactive virtual experiences.
- The Last of Ours: A platform for conservation initiatives to raise awareness and funds. They are based out of blockchain and centered around the blockchain industry.
- Uizard: Based out of Demark, Uizard has created the world-first AI to transform user interface images to code automatically.
- WeWALK: A smart cane for visually impaired. The company is based out of Istanbul and focuses on the world of accessibility
- WILD Technologies AI: Based out of San Francisco, WILD Technologies AI empowers humans to reach their personal best.
- WOMIN.IO: This New York City company provides a platform offering peer to peer engagements, verification, and the use of escrowed compensation through smart contracts on a blockchain.