And the wait continues… at least for Glowforge 3D Laser Printer backers. Just a couple months after announcing the first delay, the company has once again revealed to supporters that it will not be delivering the product a few more months.
CEO of Glowforge, Dan Shapiro, revealed in a recent email:
“We could hit the gas and start churning out huge numbers of printers in time to meet June. We would love to do that. We want you to have your printer. It makes us feel terrible to contemplate letting you down. But we’d feel worse about compromising on quality. We just got this power supply. Everything has been working well together, but we haven’t had enough time to feel confident that it will meet your expectations.”
Shapiro and his team have reportedly noted that due to the delays, the company is offering backers $150 of high-quality free materials that are designed specifically for lasers. It will also give backers $5 gift certificate to its design catalog store and “Founder status,” which offers 10% discounts on materials and design catalog orders through 2017.
Shapiro then noted:
“I worked very hard to deliver your Glowforge on time, and I am sorry that I failed you. Our team has been amazing and done everything possible. This is on me.”
He also shared with Geek Wire:
“When I say to our backers ‘it’s on me,’ I have a lot running through my head. First, the weight of responsibility I feel of letting people down. Second, the deep commitment and immense work the team did to bring this together; the shortcomings are mine alone. Third, while I want to share the reasons behind what happened, I don’t want anyone to think that I’m trying to make excuses or avoid blame. And fourth, the unfortunate recollection that when I wrote a book called ‘Hot Seat‘ about the experience of being a startup CEO, I knew I’d wind up here again someday – and here I am.”
The project’s information is listed below:
- Due to schedule delays, The company plans to ship Glowforge by December 2016 (for orders placed during the 30 day pre-order campaign) or March 2017 (for orders placed subsequently) instead of our original date of 2016. New orders will ship after yours.
- The company is including $200 of extras.
- Glowforges will ship with $150 worth of Proofgrade materials as a free bonus.
- Preorders will include a $50 gift certificate to the Glowforge design catalog.
- Backers will receive Glowforge Founder status.
- Backers’ Glowforge Founder status entitles you to a 10% discount on all catalog and materials purchases.
- Glowforges will be assembled in the USA.
- Backers can read beta user reports the forum now.
- Backers can see Glowforge printers in action at Maker Faire Bay Area, Seattle, and NYC.
- Should backers decide that they no longer want their Glowforge reservation for any reason, they may cancel and reverse all charges at any time until the unit ships.
Have a crowdfunding offering you'd like to share? Submit an offering for consideration using our Submit a Tip form and we may share it on our site!