Kickstarter shared it will only collect:
- Information (such as name, email and postal addresses, telephone number, and country of residence) that backers provide by completing forms on Kickstarter, including if you register as a user of the Services, subscribe to its newsletters, upload or submit any material through the website, or request any information
- Backer login and password details, in connection with the account sign-in process
- Details of any requests or transactions backers make through the Services
- Information about your activity on and interaction with Kickstarter, such as backer IP address and the type of device or browser they use
- Communications backers send to us (for example, when you ask for support, send us questions or comments, or report a problem); and
- Information that backers submit to the website in the form of comments, contributions to discussions, or messages to other users.
The crowdfunding portal noted the following will remained private:
- Any payment information backers provide
- Backer password details
- Backer IP address
- Backer phone number
- Communications backers send to the website
Kickstarter went on to reveal that the only items that are shared with creators and collaborators are the account names, the amount that is being pledged and the rewards that backers have selected. Creators notably do not receive any backers’ credit card details or other payment information.
The website also explained what is public:
- The account name, and the date it was created
- Any information backers choose to add to their profile (like a picture, bio, or your location)
- Projects backers have backed (but not pledge amounts or rewards chosen)
- Projects backers have launched
- Any comments backers posted on Kickstarter
- If backers have “Liked” a project update
Personal information that backers give to Kickstarter will only be used identify when backers sign on, providing backers of services, sending marketing communications, presenting projects to backers and account administration.
To wrap up, the crowdfunding platform added:
“To modify or delete the personal information you have provided to us, please log in and update your profile. We may retain certain information as required by law or for necessary business purposes. On request, we will give you a copy of all the personal information about you that we hold. This information is subject to a fee not exceeding the prescribed fee permitted by law.