With less than three days until the closing of its Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign, the high performance music player, Geek Wave, hit $1,017,872 from 3,534 backers. Revealing the exciting news about the funding, the team added a new video of their reactions as soon as they saw the $1,000,000 mark was hit.
As previously reported, Geek Wave originally set to out to raise only $38,000 to make a music device for discerning ears. The project’s team noted, “Music connects us. It’s an expression of our feelings, emotions and experiences. Some people are happy listening to music through an iPod or their smartphone. However, this doesn’t cut it for those that want to experience their music the way it was truly meant to be heard, in all of its high fidelity greatness.”
They also added, “In order to immerse themselves and experience all that their music has to offer, they need a portable music device of a much higher caliber.”
Geek Wave offers:
- The highest resolution audio available – 32 bit/384 kHz PCM capable.
- Drag and drop music management with expandable storage – Easy to manage from computer hard drives.
- An intuitive user interface – offers a standalone player and allow the user to control it with a smartphone.
- Ten Processor Cores – Uses both a dual core MIPS32 MPU from Microchip Technology and an eight core 500MIPS CPU from XMOS.
- A large, interchangeable battery – user-accessible. After the expected two year lifespan of the rechargeable lithium ion battery, the user can easily swap in a new one.
Just a few days before reaching the $1M, the team announced since it hit the $888,888 stretched goal, Geek Wave’s docking station perk was released. The Geek Wave and Geek Station turns the user’s home stereo system into an “ULTRA HD” music playback system. The features included:
- Smart Healthy Charging: The ability to charge your Geek Wave’s battery more efficiently while also prolonging its lifespan.
- Ultra Quiet Power Circuit: Provides sub 5.5uVrms noise 5V power supply to charge your Geek Wave. Play and charge your Geek Wave at the same time without audio performance degradation.
- No Y Cable? No problem: With Geek Station, you’ll have a pair of high quality Neutrik RCA audio connectors allowing for a direct connection to a home stereo system.
- Geek Wave DAC Functionality: With an integrated 5-pin micro USB interface, directly connecting your Geek Wave to your Geek Source gets even easier.
The campaign’s $999,999 stretch goal also had the following:
- Gain Switch: Every Geek Wave backer that selected the IEM perk will have their Geek Wave outfitted with a gain switch.
- Geek Wave XD128: Upgrade to a dedicated single-ended and balanced headphone connector. The Geek Force will vote on the best connector
- DAD Perk Upgrade: Lead Electronics Engineer, Larry Ho, will bias the gain stage amp to Class A. With slightly more energy spent, you’ll get THE BEST sound without crossover distortion.
- Geek Source High Speed: The team will add a gigabit Ethernet port into your Greek Source. Use this port to connect with local networks and music libraries. No wireless setup, no package drop outs.
The project is set to close on Saturday, July 12th.
Have a crowdfunding offering you'd like to share? Submit an offering for consideration using our Submit a Tip form and we may share it on our site!