California-based OAXIS Inc. kicked off its Kickstarter campaign on Tuesday (July 15th) for its new device, InkCase Plus. The project was seeking to raise $100,000 and within 24 hours, it surpassed its goal and raised $152,673 from 976 backers.
The team noted, “Following the success of the acclaimed InkCase, the second generation InkCase Plus now packs more power as a modular second screen for Android smartphones. With the new ability to install apps, InkCase Plus has become the converged multifunctional second screen for E Ink devices; just like the smartphone for communication and personal devices.”
InkCase Plus includes the following:
- Battery Saver: Most of the text in emails, messages and news is in black and white. Therefore, users don’t need to turn on the power hungry color LCD display. Turning on the phone’s main LCD generally consumers up to 50% of the smartphone battery during reading.
- It is always ON: Print screen or transfer your to-do-list, shopping voucher, map or boarding passes to InkCase Plus. You don’t have to keep turning on your smartphone to look for that information in different applications. Image of text displays will be retained even with the absence of a power source, unless it is being refreshed.
- Personalization and Protection: The InkCase Plus acts as a protective case when used with a FitCase. A FitCase is a leather case that is designed to hold the phone as well as the InkCase Plus. The user can customize the InkCase Plus displaying up to 10 of their favorite picture to personalize their phone case.
- Reading: The user will be able to read their favorite literature on the InkCase Plus without sacrificing their smartphone battery life even in bright sunlight. Read up to 19 hours, continuously, or 3400 pages with a single charge.
- Sports: Don’t worry about sweaty, moist fingers, and the weather. Even under direct sunlight the user can check their workout progress both outdoors and indoors. The InkCase Plus weighs less than 45g and is only 5mm thick.
- Notifications: Receive SMS and social network messages from WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, and so on. Also received notifications for battery low indication, missed call, and SIM card errors.
- Incoming Call Functions: The user can also turn on the external speaker from the InkCase Plus after you picked up the call, or you may end the call from the InkCase Plus directly.
- Music Control: Control the music playbacks without turning on the phone’s app. InkCase Plus can display the user’s selected album’s cover. The user can also control the music while reading an e-book.
Explaining how the they figured out how to create the InkCase Plus, the team wrote, “With years of experiences in e-reader products, our initial goal was to use the E Ink technology to create a companion for the smartphone. We wanted to enable the user to read and retrieve information without having to switch their phone on. E Ink technology enables continuous reading for up to 19 hours and standby up to 7 days. This is achieved with a single charge from the built-in 500mAh Li-Ion battery.”
The InkCase Plus is built with the same E Ink technology used in the E-Reader series; image or information on the E Ink electronic display will be retained even in the absence of power.
Have a crowdfunding offering you'd like to share? Submit an offering for consideration using our Submit a Tip form and we may share it on our site!