90’s kids: Get ready to relive your childhood once again! The masterminds of video games Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country have formed a new video game company called Playtonic Games and launched a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter with a mission to raise £175,000 for Yooka-Laylee.
“Back in the mid-90s, Steve ‘don’t call me Steven’ Mayles came up with a famous bear and bird duo – and a platforming classic was born. When it came to dreaming up an all new buddy-duo in 2015, Steven set himself the objective of dreaming up the most delightful adventure characters possible. A platforming pair designed for fun gamesplay first.
“With Yooka and Laylee, we believe Steve has captured the spirit of his past heroes while introducing the most inventive moves yet seen in any of our team’s work. Like a cyborg Indiana Jones, our heroes are equipped for adventure and, brought to life by the voice of Banjo and Kazooie himself, Chris Sutherland, you can expect plenty of cheeky and irreverent gags too.
“Across more than five distinct worlds Yooka and Laylee will tackle unique platforming challenges – such as rolling into a ball of navigate a pinball-inspired race course – in search of Pagies, the golden bounty used to unlock and expand new areas of the game. As is traditional in our team’s games, each world will be jammed to the gills and oddball characters and hulking bosses, many who communicate via a collage of burp and fat noises.”
Features of Yooka-Laylee include:
- Heroes Built for Fun: The team shared, “Our new buddy-duo were dreamed up specifically for entertaining platforming gameplay and exceptional colour coordination. We think we’ve captured the spirit of our past heroes while introducing our most inventive moves yet.”
- An Arsenal of Abilities: Such abilities are Sonar blasting, tongue whipping, sky soaring… a move roster built for platforming fun – and unlocked with added freedom. Additionally, there may or may not be a move involving a giant fart bubble.
- A Dream Soundtrack: The soundtrack will include music from David Wise (Donkey Kong Country) and Grant Kirkhope (Banjo-Kazooie).
- Collect-em-up 2.0: A roster of shiny collectibles with gameplay progression at their core (as well as other, more valuable materials). Every collectible type in our new game will expand gameplay in a meaningful way.
- Arcade Machines: Each world hides at least one secret arcade game encasing old-school gaming goodness.
Have a crowdfunding offering you'd like to share? Submit an offering for consideration using our Submit a Tip form and we may share it on our site!