During the final hours of its Kickstarter campaign, California startup FOVE successfully secured over $480,000 for its new self-titled virtual reality device. Last month, the company took to the crowdfunding platform to raise $250,000 and it eventually became super popular.
The description of FOVE reads, “Immerse yourself in virtual worlds that react to your eyes and emotions. Experience precision control at the speed of thought.” With the device, users can do the following:
- Aim With Your Eyes: Simply target, aim and shoot with true line-of-sight targeting
- Focus Your Vision: View realistic scenery that blurs and sharpens, reaching to where you are focusing.
- Make Eye Contact: Look, laugh, and communicate with virtual characters just like in the real world.
- Move Naturally: Tilt your head to reduce simulation sickness by reducing the need for unnatural head movements.
FOVE’s features include:
- Convert titles quickly with easy conversion
- Add eye tracking to existing content
- More graphics power with foveated rendering (in progress).
- Power C++ API with C# (mono) wrappers
- Hands-on support with tutorials, sample code, and FOVE forum (in progress)
The company also revealed more details about the headset’s new design:
“FOVE’s industrial design is new and improved. In our efforts to make FOVE lighter, smaller, and better, the headset’s form-factor has been refined and enhanced, resulting in better stability, increased performance, and a substantially more comfortable experience. Instead of the elastic material used in our initial headset prototypes, we’re upgrading FOVE with ratcheting, articulated clasps to enable the headset to adapt to any head form.
“The rear-end velcro tapes will be replaced with a dial-style adjustment to easily tighten the device. Then, with multiple flexible materials on the side, the headset will be naturally adjusted to the size and shape of your head.”
Pictures of the design are shown below.
FOVE’s headset is set to start shipping May 2016.
Have a crowdfunding offering you'd like to share? Submit an offering for consideration using our Submit a Tip form and we may share it on our site!