1Rebel, which was co-founders James Balfour and Giles Dean, is a new fitness venture by the same team that founded Fitness First and Jatomi Fitness. The founders want to create a new concept for fitness to attract the millennial generation. The approach is described as “hard, fast results” inspired by the flexible studio concept similar to Soul Cycle, Barry’s and Orange Theory. The company hit Crowdcube in the summer of 2014 and successfully scored over £1.5 million.
1Rebel stands by three core competencies within its brand and seeks to expand using a mixture of the following three studio types within its club growth going forward:
- Reshape: “45 minutes of physical and mental intensity. Exertion that you never thought possible. This highly intensive group experience is designed to condition and resculpt selected muscle-groups. The latest Woodway 4Front treadmills and the bespoke and patented 1R workout platform is specifically designed to mould your body and break your barriers.”
- Ride: “We don’t spin. We Ride. Smash your way through a high energy 30 or 45 minute Ride session against a pioneering weekly set of themed rides by our Rockstar instructors, live music from our house musicians, or mix-up with a double shot, which incorporate Ride and kick ass Reshape. Ride is a full body workout incorporating hand weights, as well as immersive pyrotechnics never seen before in a fitness studio.”
- Rumble: “Rumble. We burn hard and HIIT hard, incorporating explosive speed, footwork, strength but most of all willpower. It’s the survival of the fittest, an immersive space filled with 45 minutes of sound and energy. Punch, kick, and move. It’s between you and your bag. A cardio boxing and mixed martial arts battle that’s no holds barred in a fitness studio.”
Sharing why the company decided to take the crowdfunding route once again, Balfour explained to WelltoDo:
“We wanted our customers to be our investors and our investors to be our customers, so using CrowdCube made sense. This way we know our investors are passionate about the brand.”
Funds from this crowdfunding round will go towards the following:
- Day to day costs of running all of our current and future clubs.
- Cover capital expenditure in opening new clubs – mainly equipment & leasehold improvements.
The campaign is set to close mid-December.
Have a crowdfunding offering you'd like to share? Submit an offering for consideration using our Submit a Tip form and we may share it on our site!