Today, the Biden Administration issued an Executive Order on the emerging artificial intelligence (AI) industry. In the announcement, eight guiding principles and priorities were established for the development of AI.
The following were outlined in the EO:
- Artificial Intelligence must be safe and secure.
- Promoting responsible innovation, competition, and collaboration will allow the United States to lead in AI and unlock the technology’s potential to solve some of society’s most difficult challenges.
- The responsible development and use of AI require a commitment to supporting American workers.
- Artificial Intelligence policies must be consistent with my Administration’s dedication to advancing equity and civil rights.
- The interests of Americans who increasingly use, interact with, or purchase AI and AI-enabled products in their daily lives must be protected.
- Americans’ privacy and civil liberties must be protected as AI continues advancing. Artificial Intelligence is making it easier to extract, re-identify, link, infer, and act on sensitive information about people’s identities, locations, habits, and desires.
- It is important to manage the risks from the Federal Government’s own use of AI and increase its internal capacity to regulate, govern, and support responsible use of AI to deliver better results for Americans.
- The Federal Government should lead the way to global societal, economic, and technological progress, as the United States has in previous eras of disruptive innovation and change.
There are multiple deadlines for specific actions, but with any complex executive initiative, there will be much interpretation at the agency level.