On Tuesday (September 16th), Denver-based Loop Labs, Inc. took to Kickstarter to launch its crowdfunding campaign for its new product, Notion. Originally setting out to raise $50,000, the project quickly hit the goal and raised over $58,000 during the first 24 hours.
Notion is described as more than just a home intelligence system. It uses a small, smart, and multi-function sensor that detects “unbelievable” things. The Loop Labs team noted, “With Notion, you can know things like how full a propane tank is, when your child returns from school, the second there is a water leak, if a gun safe has been accessed and much more.”
“In fact, this is exactly why we built Notion; to allow you to monitor what you want in a way that makes sense for you and your family.”
Notion’s advanced sensors are:
- Accelerometer: tells when the garage is open
- Ambient light sensor: knows if lights have been left on when they shouldn’t be
- Gyroscope: measures if a door or window opens
- Temperature sensor: tells when the HVAC system is down by detecting if the temperature of the house is getting too cold or hot
- Piezoelectric transducer: measures natural frequency and tells the user things like how full a propane tank is or if a smoke alarm is going off
- Proximity sensor: alerts if the gun safe is open
- Water leak probes: instantly alerts the second there is a leak
“Since each Notion sensor detects several different actions, we’re able to send more accurate alerts based on redundant measurements. A door opening isn’t just detected by an accelerometer, we measure a change in orientation of the door and a change in proximity.”
The Notion System will have the following:
- Hub, a small central point of communication for all sensors that connects to the Internet via WiFi.
- Multi-function sensor, each capable of detecting 8 customized actions.
- Mobile applications for iOS and Android that makes the user “intelligent.”
Each sensor lasts up to two years so the user does not have to worry about charging or replacing the batteries all the time.
The campaign is set to close on October 16th.
Have a crowdfunding offering you'd like to share? Submit an offering for consideration using our Submit a Tip form and we may share it on our site!