Boston-based Wizeo, the first video-chat-for-a-cause platform, officially launched on Thursday morning. The website is designed to raise funds and awareness for nonprofits by connecting the world’s most inspiring people, also known as “Wizzes,” with their community of fans through live video chats.
Wizeo’s unique model marries two major trends, crowdfunding and live videos, motivating fans to donate any amount by rewarding them with access to exclusive interaction with the world’s most inspiring people. All donors get access to a live interactive group video chat, with on lucky supporter winning the ultimate prize via a randomized drawing: a one-on-one live video chat with their Wiz.
Co-founder and CEO of Wizeo Guy Bauman stated, “Influencers and experts have a story to tell and we have an audience that’s listening. We created Wizeo so that people everywhere have the opportunity to experience live interaction with the notable individuals they’re curious about, while at the same time supporting causes that make our world better.”
Campaigns are added continuously and some notable Wizzes already engage including:
- George Newbern, Television and Film Actor – supporting the Gary Sinise Foundation
- Alan Dershowitz, Lawyer and author – supporting Combined Jewish Philanthropies
- Peter Greenberg, Emmy winning Travel Editor for CBS News – supporting Operation USA
- Nanette Lepore, American Fashion Designer – supporting She’s the First
- Ayelet Waldman, Author of “Love and Treasure” – supporting ScholarMatch
- Refugee All Stars, a reggae-inflected band from West Africa – supporting Schools for Salone
- Miguel Ferrer, Television and Film Actor – supporting Best Friends Animal Society
- Avram Grant, former manager of Chelsea Football Club – supporting One World Futbol Project
- Keltie Knight, Correspondent for The Insider – supporting To Write Love On Her Arms
- Dan Ariely, Behavioral Economist and Bestselling Author – supporting Educating for Excellence
Mr. Bauman noted, “Wizeo’s video fundraising model offers a rich, rewarding experience for both supporters and the ‘Wiz’ while liberating non-profits from extra fundraising costs and tasks.”
Wizeo’s patent-pending, end-to-end platform offers nonprofits robust digital fundraising capabilities, including campaign hosting, social amplification, and a campaign performance and awareness analytics dashboard. The web-based platform supports unlimited viewers and features high quality video and audio accessible from any web browser, without the need to download software or install plugins.
“Our interactive platform enables users to submit questions to Wizzes and upvote these questions in real time,” Mr. Bauman explained. “This creates and sustains the crowdsourced interview process, something all participants find truly unique and memorable.”
Wizeo has recently completed a Seed Round from Mesco, Ltd., an angel investor in a number of crowdsourcing, social marketing, and community-based companies including Grennfield Online, uTest, Estimize and Offerpop.