There are several groups hoping to push forward legislation that will legalize recreational use of Marijuana in Michigan but the Michigan Cannabis Coalition (MCC) is planning on launching a GoFundMe crowdfunding campaign on April 20th to help pay the way. The date (4/20) is a “marijuana enthusiasts day of celebration”, a kind of stoner holiday, and why MCC is launching their campaign on that date.
- According to the MCC site their advocacy hopes to accomplish:
- Legalize marihuana use & possession for people 21 & older
- Regulate and tax the growth, sale & use of marihuana in Michigan
- Allocate tax revenue from the regulation and taxation of marihuana to public safety, public health and eduction
- Create an independent board that is; compensated based on attendance and; staffed by experts in the field of agriculture and the public at large
- Permit for limited home growth of marihuana for personal consumption, subject to local ordinance
- Hold the medical marihuana act harmless
The funding that may be raised is said to be used for Petition Language, Signature Collection & Validation and Legal Costs. Apparently they will need to get 250,000 signatures collected who are actually real people. Contributors to the GoFundMe campaign will be able to pick t-shirts and hats as rewards. The Lansing State Journal reported MCC will need to raise $1 million to fund their legislative push. On Friday, MCC filed language for a ballot pitch with a statewide ballot targeted for November 2016. Of course legislation could crop up in the state capital independent of MCC.
“It’s an experiment, because it’s going to be the first time, but why not?” Marsden said. “If you can raise $1.25 million in one day to make Super Troopers 2, why not at least see what you can do in terms of crowdfunding on an issue like this?”
Have a crowdfunding offering you'd like to share? Submit an offering for consideration using our Submit a Tip form and we may share it on our site!